Holly and I had only dreamt, in our wildest dreams, that a cookie so delicious, so gooey and yet crunchy on the outside and so undenyably satisfying, could have so few calories. At only 70 calories per cookie, these flourless cookies are a real winner. Great christmas treats to serve at kids parties or even just as a snack while watching a film!
We found this recipe on the lovely Jordan’s blog and adapted it slightly for our own tastes. Want to know how easy it is? Keep reading!
What you will need:
3 egg whites
2.5 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornflour/starch
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat your oven to around 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 3
2. Place the chocolate chips in a glass bowl and melt. Either place in microwave over a period of 2 minutes and take out and stir every 20 seconds, OR place the glass bowl over a pan of boiling water (on stove) and mix until smooth and melted. Remove the glass bowl from heat and leave to cool.
3. Use whisk (or electric mixer) to beat the 3 egg whites until they are fluffy and make soft peaks.
4. Beat 1 cup of icing sugar into the egg white mix until it resembles a soft marshmallow cream
5. In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients together (1 cup icing sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt)
6. On a low speed, gradually mix your dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
7. Now mix the luke warm melted chocolate into the mixture (this will make the mixture much more stiff)
8. Take a tablespoons worth of mixture and roll into a ball with your hands. Coat this in icing sugar and place on a baking tray (with a sheet of baking paper on top).
9. You will get about 18 ball-like cookie doughs. Bake these in two loads of 9 with around 2 inches between each cookie.
10. Bake for about 10 minutes, until puffed up and the tops are slightly cracked.
– ❤ Trisha & Holly