For anyone who has not remembered…. here is your reminder – IT’S MOTHERS DAY UK ON SUNDAY!!!!!
Phewf. Now on to the good stuff!
While there are many ways to show appreciation for your mum; from breakfast in bed, bouquets of flowers, a roast dinner or, if she’s lucky, some kind of fancy jewelry, its always nice to make something yourself! My mum absolutely loves tea and cake. To chocolates and sweets she will probably say no, but to a slice of victoria sponge and a strong cuppa, she will never… ever decline.
For my birthday back in February, she bought me these sweet star cupcake forms. They are reusable and work as a substitute to cake tins. Not to be corny, but as I think she is an absolute inspiration and complete star, I thought the shape would be very fitting. As a side note, I am a bit of a sucker for traditional cake flavours like vanilla and chocolate, but as it’s a special day, these muffins are lemon and bluberry. Here is the recipe!
Spoiler: Very easy to make… no fancy ingredients just fruit and cake!
Ingredients (makes 12):
50g lightly salted butter
100g caster sugar
100g self raising flour (or plain flour with 2 tsp. baking powder)
1 tblsp. grated lemon rind
2 tblsp. lemon juice (or more if you like it tangy!)
2-3 tblsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400°F/gas mark 6)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, eggs, grated lemon rind, sugar & butter together (either with electric mixer or by hand). Continue until thoroughly mixed and smooth (no lumps!)
- Add lemon juice, blueberries and milk to the flour mix and stir in.
- spoon into cupcake forms (either in a cupcake tin or a baking tray if you have the plastic cake forms)
- bake for 15-20 minutes until the cake springs back when pressed & remove from oven.
serve: with a cup of tea OR with vanilla ice-cream while still hot!
Enjoy – and let me know if you have any questions or how it goes if you make them!
To all the Mother’s – Happy Mother’s day in advance!